Education Support Program (ESP)
Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Education Support Program (ESP) builds on the institutional achievements made by ERP 1 in strengthening the local educational structures to support teacher professional development and community involvement in educational decision making and quality improvement. It also seeks to enhance the MOE capacity for crisis contingency planning so that political and social disruptions to the school system in the future can be well managed, thus reducing the negative impacts of such disruptions.
ESP will strengthen civil society’s capacity to respond to current and future system fragility by enhancing the MOE’s ability to support and strengthen BOTs, which in turn would be able to address school system needs at the community level. As part of the process of strengthening community response capacities, ESP will support a competitive small grants program that will enable areas most impacted by the economic and social disruptions to pay school fees and address the lost opportunities to learn caused by closing of schools and the lack of security. ESP will also address the MOE’s need to provide rapid upgrading of the skills of recently hired assistant teachers while strengthening local capacities to respond to this need. Additionally, ESP will support processes that enhance the MOE’s ability to respond to fragility in the future. All of our efforts will emphasize further increasing women’s participation in governance processes and girls’ access to and retention in school.
ESP will draw on ERP experience and expertise to enhance capacity for good governance and data-driven decision making from the community level to the district and central levels. The emphasis will be on addressing the needs of children in the “most impacted areas,” including security, and the need to bolster the ability of the BOTs to improve access, retention, and learning outcomes among these same children and communities.
The Monitoring and Evaluation is responsible for the documentation, communication, monitoring and evaluation of all ESP field activities.
This position will be under the direct supervision of the Regional Director; however, s/he willcoordinate Monitoring and Evaluation activities with technical guidance and inputs from the Data Management Senior Specialist.
S/he will collaborate and adopt teamwork approach with the regional staff in providing technical support to local instructional leaders to improve capacities of Assistant Teachers, BOTs, and leadership components.
This is a full-time position based in one of ESP’s regional offices in Qena, Minia, Cairo, Ismailia, or Alexandria. Travel to all areas served by the ESP program is essential; approximately 40% of the time.
Duties and Responsibilities
To help in design, undertake and manage a range of monitoring and evaluation assignments including qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, as well as action-research, facilitation and consultancy, using participatory methods and learning approaches.
Program Planning, Implementation and Coordination
- Contributes to overall M&E annual plan, strategy and budget and shares in planning of monitoring and evaluation activities in the 5 regions.
- Review information collected through the monitoring process and identify whether changes need to be made.
- Ensures that M&E activity planning and implementation occur in a timely fashion
- Assists in the development of Evaluation Studies, and other studies as needed
- Coordinate with M&E Advisor and other program staff to develop and carry out appropriate monitoring and evaluation of the program activities
- Follows RD instructions in developing and maintaining systems of communication with key project units for monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Implements monitoring and evaluation plans and procedures.
- Supervises, and carries out as needed, data collection and/or field work
- Carries out data entry and, as far as feasible, carries out data analysis.
- Support technical teams to establish and effectively data capture tools and procedures, to enable accurate and timely monitoring and reporting on the different components.
- Conducts orientation seminars, workshops, activities related to M&E tasks and objectives.
- Contributes to the overall regional planning as instructed by the RD.
- Contributes to written, electronic and other presentations of regional activities.
Monitoring, Documentation and Reporting
- To document lessons learned, and ensure they are stored in a easily accessible way in ESP information system
- Ensures that informational materials (written and electronic) about assigned activities are accurate and regularly updated.
- Contributes to the project reporting requirements as devised by the M&E Advisor.
- Meets with RD and M&E Advisor on a regular basis to provide updates on assigned activities, issues, problems, needs, and successes
Collaboration with Stakeholders and Representation
- As instructed by the RD, reports to partners and supervisors on regional activities.
- As instructed by the RD, meets and coordinates with partners and counterparts in activity monitoring, evaluation, and reporting;
The M&E Coordinator should hold a university degree in education, educational planning, or educational assessment or other related area in development.
- At least 5 years of experience in the areas of Monitoring and Evaluation (preferred in Education).
- Solid understanding of the Monitoring and Evaluation methodologies and tools in education.
- Proven experience with the logical framework approach
- Experience in data entry and analysis.
- Strong report writing and presentation skills;
- Understanding of the Egyptian educational context and preferably previous experience in working with MOE M&E units.
- Previous experience in USAID reporting requirements is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to conduct professional relationships.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a team environment;
- Proactively and dynamism;
- Ability to work in sensitive political and developmental situations and an inter-cultural environment;
- proficient use of database systems, web browsers and email, word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Ability to multi-task and work to meet tight deadlines.
- Very good ability to communicate effectively in both English and Arabic verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of data analysis software (e.g. SAS, SPSS
Applicants should email a copy of their CV, and a cover letter by April 15, 2014. The email subject must contain the relevant job title.